Poquoson Museum Membership Meeting
The next meeting will be
- TBA -
Meetings are open to any and all who are interested in the Museum's efforts and have questions, or simply wish to meet some of the Museum membership.
Poquoson Museum Officers
Museum Phone No: 868-6830
Message for Professional Photographers
|Professional Photographers often use the Poquoson Museum as a venue for taking photos for paying clients. The museum board recognizes that the museum campus does offer a great location for backgrounds in many cases.
Prior to professional photographers taking photo sessions on museum property, they are advised to contact the museum president Mr. Paul Whitlow. Discussions are necessary between the two parties to ensure the photographer and the museum can agree on a Memorandum of Understanding.
Mr. Whitlow may be contacted at 868-6899.
The Poquoson Museum, a volunteer operated community museum, needs your help! We are looking for volunteers to work with museum members at this year's Poquoson Seafood Festival, volunteers to help in preparing for and conducting our annual "Haunts of Poquoson" (October 28, 29 & 30), and individuals who can spare one Saturday or Sunday afternoon a month to help man the museum as docents (training provided
-[ Details and Points of Contact ]-
Images of America: POQUOSON
The Poquoson Museum and Poquoson Historical Society will be debuting a new book in early June, chronicling the history of Poquoson. The Museum partnered with the Historical Society and Arcadia Publishing to develop a photographic history book of Poquoson titled "Images of America: Poquoson". The Museum and Historical Society worked together in collecting material for the 200 photographs in the book.
The Poquoson Museum gift shop will have books available for sale at $22 each, and we pay the tax. Poquoson residents may also purchase a book through any of the Museum or Historical Society membership. The Museum and Historical Society strive to preserve and promote the history and culture of Poquoson, and proceeds from the sale of the books will help in providing necessary funding for the operation of both groups.
To easily place an order with a museum or society member, please call 869-4025 or 868-6899.
POQUOSON MUSEUM 1st EDITION COOKBOOK
The Poquoson Museum has published a first edition cookbook, titled Recipes & Remembrances from the members and friends of the Poquoson Museum.
The book contains 250 delicious recipes arranged in eight categories.Helpful hints are included at the beginning of each section of the book, and additional information to assist the cook preparing and presenting meals is an added bonus.
The first edition cookbook can be yours for $10 per copy. If mailed, add $3 for shipping and handling per book. This cookbook will complement your collection and will also make a perfect gift for a loved one or friend.
If you are interested in purchasing, or have questions about the book, contact Paul Whitlow at 868-6899.
Your #1 guide for what's happening in Virginia
Longleaf Pine Restoration Project
Poquoson Museum - Help Wanted
Buildings and Grounds: With the recent improvements around the Poquoson Museum's Campus, the Museum is looking for volunteers to help with the Buildings and Grounds Maintenance.
We need help with the following:
1. Regular Nature Trail Inspection and Maintenance -
a. Monthly check of integrity of the boardwalks to see if any boards need to be repaired
or replaced. Help with repair and replacement of boards.
b. Monthly check for trash along the trail and emptying of the trash cans located along
c. Occasional trimming of bushes along the wooded portion of the trail.
d. Monthly cleaning (washing) of the 18 Interpretive Signs located along the trail.
2. Weekly mowing and trimming around the farmhouse
3. Biweekly mowing and trimming along the Nature Trail.
4. Occasional help with outdoor projects - such as yard cleanup, planting trees and shrubs
and mulching same.
5. Occasional painting: inside and out.
6. Other needs as announced.
If you have a few hours to spare please contact:
Cliff Coffman at (757) 869-4025 or
Poquoson Museum Introduces Its New Mailbox Information Center
ocated at the head of the of the museum's Marsh Walk Nature Trail, the museum's newest feature provides visitors with easy access to information about the Museum, its Learning Garden, and related subject matter. A talented local Master Gardener, Carol-Marie Kiernan, hand painted each of the boxes with designs representative of the information that will be available inside. Temporary identification signs on the front of each box will be replaced with permanent signs in a few weeks.
The Center consists of two rows of boxes. The boxes on the top row, left to right, will contain information on the: Poquoson Learning Garden, Raised Bed & Adaptive Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Straw Bales, and the Poquoson Museum. The boxes on the bottom row, left to right, will contain information on: Native Plants, Cooperative Extension Information, Butterflies, Birds & Pollinators, and Bees.
The Poquoson Historical and Cultural Museum Foundation (aka The Poquoson Museum)
Campaign to Preserve and Restore
Poquoson's Historic Tom Hunt's Store
Odd Post Office, now called Tom Hunt's Store was built around 1880. The structure served as a general store and a post office. This is because Postmistress Sarah E. Hunt was married to John Thomas Hunt, the store's owner, and the couple shared the building. It was alternately called Tom Hunt's Store and the Odd Post Office. It is believed that the post office possibly acquired its name because of its location next to the Fraternal Organization of Odd Fellows' lodge building. The road intersecting Poquoson Avenue at this location also acquired the "Odd" name. Photographs exist which show both store and lodge, the latter with members posed in front.
Mrs. Sarah (Sadie) E. Hunt born in 1872 and died in 1962 was appointed Postmistress in May 1904. She is buried at Tabernacle United Methodist Church with her husband, John Thomas Hunt. There are many Hunt descendants living in the Peninsula area as well as Poquoson.
Tom Hunt's Store is still standing today.
Charlie and Georgia McDaniel, long time collectors of antiques, especially items from Poquoson's early days believed that Poquoson's history was too valuable to lose. In the late 1960s, they bought Tom Hunt's General Store on Poquoson Avenue to preserve the turn of the century structure. The store was given status as a historic Virginia building. Thanks to the McDaniel's, the store is full of some original merchandise as well as pieces that came out of other old houses and stores in Poquoson.
In 2003, The Poquoson Historical and Cultural Museum Foundation purchased the former 15-acre Dryden farm tract on Poquoson Avenue. Those 15 acres have been transformed into a unique historical campus. The campus consists of the circa 1910 farm house (now the museum building), the circa 1940 "Miss Becky's Store", a circa 1930 building once used as a polling place and several other significant agricultural outbuildings.
Timing is everything. The McDaniel's decided to donate the store to the Poquoson Museum in 2003, when it became too much to continue looking after. In February 2004, the Museum partnered with the City of Poquoson and applied for a grant through the Virginia Department of Transportation's Transportation Enhancement Program to move and relocate the store roughly a mile down the street to its new home on the Museum's campus. That $100,000 grant provides 80 percent of the project cost and requires a 20 percent match from the locality.
But timing in this case wasn't on the Museum's side. The grant application and required paperwork hit one snag after another, some due to the downturn in the economy and more than one staff turnover at VDOT. Even the name of the grant changed. Now it's called the Transportation Alternatives Program Grant. The grant has increased to $150,000 in federal funding with a required $37,500 local match.
Hopefully the move of the store is nearing final approval. On March 28, the Poquoson City Council agreed to sign the memorandum of understanding among themselves, VDOT, the Federal Highway Administration, the Virginia State Historic Preservation Office and the Poquoson Historic and Cultural Museum Foundation.
Once all the agencies' signatures are in place the next step will be to request bids to move the store. Great news, but unfortunately, it looks likely that the funding to move the store will exhaust the funding remaining in the grant as well as the match funds put up by the museum. Additional funds will be needed to renovate and get the store ready for public viewing. One pressing cost will be the funds needed to replace the existing stamped tin shingles with authentic reproduction metal shingles. Just the shingles and materials are likely to cost on the order of $10,000.
How You Can Help
The museum will need to raise a considerable amount of additional funds for restoration to get the store to a point where it can be opened up to the public without risking damage to the building. On top of that are the general maintenance costs and the costs of meeting the government's strict standards of historical accuracy.
We encourage you to consider becoming a new member of the museum, or renew your current membership. In addition, you can make a donation designated to help renovate the store.
Restoration and opening of Tom Hunt's Store will be a great addition to the Museum's unique historical campus and a real plus for our small city.
If you would like more information about donating or visiting the Poquoson Museum go online to PoquosonMuseum.com. Or you may call Paul Whitlow at 868-6899 or Cliff Coffman at 869-4025.
Poquoson Resident Donates American Flag to Poquoson Museum
n a recent cold and windy day, Poquoson resident Linda Lumia observed that the American flag displayed in the front yard of the museum was torn and tattered, having sustained heavy damage during a January storm that had high sustained winds and wind gusts greater than 70 MPH.
Linda decided to donate a replacement flag to the museum. She contacted museum president Paul Whitlow, made her offer, and determined the size for a replacement.
Linda is pictured here, in February, providing her flag donation to Paul Whitlow. The museum members wish to thank Linda for her thoughtful and generous donation.
It's the bulb-planting time of year for gardeners who want spring flowers.
n Poquoson, Master Gardeners plant bulbs each fall at the Poquoson Learning Garden - thanks to the donation of 10,000 bulbs over the past couple of years from Brent and Becky's Bulbs - brentandbeckysbulbs.com - in Gloucester.
The garden, located behind the Poquoson Museum's barn on Poquoson Avenue, features tulips, daffodils, dwarf irises, anemone and crocus.
-[ Information & Tips on planting and caring for bulbs... ]-
About the Learning Garden
The Poquoson Learning Garden, established three years ago on the Poquoson Museum's 16-acre site by York/Poquoson Master Gardeners, is a sunny garden in contrast to the mostly shady York Learning Garden in York County. The one-third acre garden features sustainable gardening practices that homeowners can implement, and showcases cut flowers, vegetables, herbs and perennials in demonstration gardens. About 20 bluebird boxes located in the garden and along the museum's nature trail are also monitored by Master Gardeners.
In addition, York/Poquoson Master Gardener tree stewards helped the museum develop its treescaping plan, which includes 100 native trees and 50 native shrubs along a one-mile Marsh Walk Nature Trail; 18 interpretive signs along the trail provide information about the marsh landscape and the wildlife that lives there
The Master Gardeners' partnership with the museum has helped forge a second one in the form of a Learning Bee Yard by the Colonial Beekeepers Association, according to Poquoson Master Gardener Noel Talcott. The bee yard will be adjacent to the Learning Garden's Wildflower Meadow display, creating yet another learning experience for visitors, Talcott adds.
The public is invited to take self-guided tours of the garden at 968 Poquoson Ave. Learn more about the York/Poquoson Master Gardeners at yorkcountry.gov/vce.
excerpt from the Daily Press... October 11, 2015
Marsh Walk Tree Planting
ith a grant from the Chesapeake Bay Restoration Fund, and through the combined efforts of the VCE York/Poquoson Master Gardeners Tree Steward Class of 2013, Virginia Tech's Dr. Laurie J. Fox, Dreamscapes Landscaping, horticulturist Ed Bradley and his Trailblazer Team, and some dedicated museum volunteers, scores of trees have been planted along the lead section of the museum's Marsh Walk. Learn about the project, with accompanying photos
Dairy Donated to the Museum
he dairy shown in the photo above was donated to the museum by
Jean Ray and Nathan Forrest in memory of Miss Mary Burcher. According to our sources, Ms. Leslie Cox, who resided on the corner of Hudgins Road and Poquoson Ave., gave the dairy to Miss Mary
Dairies similar to the one at the museum were used to keep milk, butter, cream and cheese cool until they were needed. During the summer milk and dairy products would be placed in about 8" of water in the summer dairy to keep them cool. It is estimated that the museum dairy was built in the early 1900's.
Another type of dairy was the winter dairy. This type of dairy has an open slatted front to allow the cold wind to blow through and cool the dairy products.
MUSEUM RESTORES WASH HOUSE
Before & After Views of the Wash House
In late August of 2009, museum volunteers started work on restoring this circa 1938 Wash House located on the museum campus. The building had served multiple uses throughout its history and was saved from a disastrous fate when it was threatened by a barn fire at the museum in 2007. Fireman continued to douse the building with water to prevent the Wash House from being consumed by flames.
MUSEUM JOHN DEERE TRACTOR
n February 27th, museum volunteers relocated a 1947 Model D John Deere Tractor to the museum, subsequent to engine and other repairs. The tractor was donated to the museum by Dan and Alice Phillips. In the December 2003 Poquoson Christmas parade the tractor, pulling a museum float, won second place in the Antique Motorized Division.
The Model D John Deere Tractor was produced from March 1923 to July 1953. The first Model D rode on steel wheels and was powered by a two-cylinder hand cranked engine. In 1925 solid rubber tires replaced the steel wheels. In 1939 a restyled Model D tractor appeared with a 42 horsepower engine and weighed 5,300 pounds. The Model D that is on display at the museum has electric start and inflatable rubber tires.
BARN RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT
Views before & after the fire, and after restoration
n Saturday, April 12, work began in replacing the barn that was lost in a November 2007 fire. The post-fire cleanup and inital steps in the rebuilding process were carried out by members of the museum's Buildings & Grounds Committee. With help from the community, the rebuilding project has continued through the summer and fall, and is well on its way to restoring an important part in the museum's effort to collect, preserve and present the history and heritage of Poquoson, Virginia.
If you would like to help in the reconstruction work, or want information on the project, please call 868-9116.
Donations for the project may be sent to:
Poquoson Museum, PO Box 2163, Poquoson, VA 23662.
** Please indicate "barn project" on your check **
he construction phase continued through the summer and early fall in developing the Poquoson Museum's "Marsh Walk". You can view background information, check on its progress and view the project photo album by following the link below.
Poquoson City Council adopts resolution
recognizing the Poquoson Museum
he membership of the Poquoson Museum was presented with a resolution by the Poquoson City Council, commending it for its vision and determination in establishing a museum in the Poquoson community. The resolution was signed by all City Council members and placed on a handsome plaque.
Mayor Gordon Helsel presented the plaque on behalf of City Council, with museum president Diane Holloway accepting the resolution on behalf of the museum membership.
···<<< copy of the City Council Resolution
The resolution will be proudly displayed in the museum for visitors to view, an enduring appreciation and reminder of how the Council and other city departments support the museum in its mission to preserve, document, interpret and promote the history and heritage of Poquoson, and in its effort to educate and share this with the general public.
Mr. and Mrs. Manfred C. Freeman, Jr. Underwrite Marsh Walk
inda R. Freeman and Manfred C. Freeman, Jr. are two of the most dedicated patrons of the Poquoson Museum. Their generous gift of $50,000 has prompted the museum to name the Marsh Walk Trail as an enduring remembrance of Manfred's grandparents, Edward R. and Emma Moore Freeman.